gentle whisper 5

who would have expected it… wow, i finally finished him… those of you who followed this project, might remember the desaster of the first cast… this is a second cast, i could not free the first one, it stuck too much into the mould. so, what i did was to make a second mould from the clay, as it was almost intact, except it has lost the ears. the second cast into this new mould went well, only a few airbubbles to repair, plus making him new ears. …

first, i wanted to leave him white, as the beautiful plaster sculptures in neresheim, but then, i thought these sculptures look so well in stark white because of their surrounding. which mine do not have… so, i painted him in very light colors, to still get the light feeling i have with white color, but to fit him into the surrounding he is in now… would love to hear from you what you think of that finish…

Go to page : 1 2 3 4 5

gentle whisper 4

just a short note,to keep you updated, and expectation not raise too high… well the cast is kind of glued to the mould, i chiseled all day to get him free at least like this 😦 … i had to be extra careful, as i casted him hollow… geez… but, i think i know “who” the culprit was, why the mould glued to the cast : its the color. when i use uncolored plaster all works fine, but with the acrylic color in it is sticky, and more over it is more like chalk, not good plaster. soo,,, i wont do that again… so need more chiseling to free him. the cast itself seems be good, no airbubbles this time… and,,, a hello to ladner, thanks for the kind words…

Go to page : 1 2 3 4 5

gentle whisper 3

i finally decided it is time to mould him, i made a lot of changes. not very dramatic ones, but sublte. most important to me, are the “new eyes”,,, and then i started moulding, and forgot to take a picture of the scuture before starting,,, i mean, just in case the worst happens and all goes wrong, then i would not even have a foto of him… i suddenly remembered that i wanted take foto, and made one, when i had already put the shims to separate front from back… the next foto shows the shells, i made a 3 part mould this time, and they turned out pretty well 🙂 … and last foto shows the clay, after i had pulled it off the shells,,, i am amazed i got him out, with so little damage, he lost his ears (thats ok, they are easy to model) and has some minor damages, which i can easily repair… why ? oh, i would love to try a second casting, with trying a new material… we will see… for now, next is drying the mould completely and then casting in plaster ,,, now, that the original clay is almost intact, i feel much more relaxed to do the casting 🙂

Go to page : 1 2 3 4 5

Yippie, i made it !

My casting tutorial is finished, and my first faux bronze bust is done… Continue to read here :

At least … i rescued her face …

she is my very first try in casting in plaster, with a self made mould in plaster from the clay portrait i did … as usual, when doing “firsts”, many things go wong,,, and this was the case here too ,,, but at least, i rescued her face

i just started a new tutorial, this time not about carving per se, but about casting a clay model in plaster, which then can be used as a guide for carving without the disadvantage of loosing shapes as it occurs in the soft clay… this is still work in progress, so the tutorial grows as things develop…

Continue to read here : Casting a Clay Model