Acanthus Door Carvings

These are just a small part of several carvings for this job. The Acanthus leaf carvings will finish off a pair of doors for a kitchen cabinet installation.  It’s a very traditional style design which really defines a door panel.

I did these in Basswood as the doors, and kitchen , will be painted with an antiqued glaze finish.

The thickness of the mullions was 1/2 ” from the surface of where the glass will be to the face of the door itself. Not much room for carvings but they worked out just fine. The thinnest section is 1/4 inch and the thickest is just over 1/2 inch.

Since these have to fit into the door frame the trickiest part was to get the 8 points of contact to fit perfectly to the ogee shaped molding around the perimeter of the opening where the carving is to fit. Cut , trim, fit, cut , trim , fit, over and over until each piece fit perfectly was the order of the day.

 

Here is the band sawed piece fitted to the door panel

Here is the band sawed piece fitted to the door panel

 

IMG_5680

Though the carving is roughed in at this point you can see the fitting necessary where the carving meets the ogee shape around the perimeter.

Though the carving is roughed in at this point you can see the fitting necessary where the carving meets the ogee shape around the perimeter.

 

IMG_5673 IMG_5672

The carvings are roughed it at this point but are starting to take on a delicate look.

The carvings are roughed it at this point but are starting to take on a delicate look.

 

The carving is completed with just a bit of sanding needed here and there.

The carving is completed with just a bit of sanding needed here and there.

 

For a carving just averaging 1/2 inch it took on some nice movement and depth to the look.

For a carving just averaging 1/2 inch it took on some nice movement and depth to the look.

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Some Carvings in Cherry

Here is a variety of carvings done in Cherry for a recent job. I was so busy getting this done that I didn’t take too many photos but you can get the idea of what was done. Not shown are a number of the legs as I’ve done on other jobs as well as more onlays (larger) than the ones shown here.

Many of these shots are prior to the final cuts and sanding so they may look a bit rough here.

two of four legs carved. Two were 34 inches and the others were 8 ft.

two of four legs carved. Two were 34 inches and the others were 8 ft.

IMG_4986

 

 

 

Some of the multiple sets of onlays that were required

Some of the multiple sets of onlays that were required

IMG_4989

 

 

One of two four ft. arches that were carved with a leaf on leaf Acanthus design.

One of two four ft. arches that were carved with a leaf on leaf Acanthus design.

 

Laying out the design and beginning the carving.

Laying out the design and beginning the carving.

 

The template I made to lay out the design.

The template I made to lay out the design.

 

One completed and the second begun.

One completed and the second begun.

 

Side view showing the profiles.

Side view showing the profiles.

 

It was necessary for appearance sake to have the design continue into the straight sections of molding for a truly custom look. These can't be mitered just anywhere.

It was necessary for appearance sake to have the design continue into the straight sections of molding for a truly custom look. These can’t be mitered just anywhere.

 

The job also required some corbels that were 28 inches high done as Angels. Here one is nearly complete and the other is glued up.

The job also required some corbels that were 28 inches high done as Angels. Here one is nearly complete and the other is glued up.

 

 

IMG_5248

Shots of the completed Angels.

Shots of the completed Angels.