Restorations 3, Bit of carving

This is such a minor piece but necessary for the total resto. What is nice about many of these old carvings is nothing is ever an exact duplicate. For all the carvings on this cabinet that look like this detail, not one of them is a match to the other. If you look at the opposite panel which also needs the same carving on it, you can see that the arches are totally different in width, arc, and this three element detail isn’t an exact match either. And needless to say, the carving itself isn’t held to any high standard of execution. It appears a rather hasty job of it.

But when it all comes together and you’re not examining each element on it’s own and see it as a whole the entire piece looks uniform and really comes across very well.

Anyway, here is what I did. Simple but fun. Make an outline on paper .Transfer it to a piece of wood following the same grain direction as the original. Band saw it to shape. Rough in the carving then glue it in place. Finish the carving and blend it to the old work. Stain it. When sealed the whole thing should generally disappear.

After being cut out and roughed in, here it’s glued in place and blended to the old work.

As I mentioned here you can see the differences in the carvings and design from the panel I’m working on as compared to the panel from the opposite side. The one from the opposite side has arches that appear twice the width as this panel has.

Even just a bit of stain begins to make it blend a bit more. A little fussing here and there followed with the sealer to give it a uniform sheen and it won’t be all that obvious unless you are looking for it specifically.

And since we’re at it here is the opposite side, same procedure.

Carved, glued and blended into shape.

A bit of stain, adjust the colors and it’s pretty close.

Both left and right panels together. I tend to think they blended quite nicely and shouldn’t appear too obvious when it’s all said and done. Not bad for a couple hours work! Now on to the rest of it.

 

I’ll just keep adding on little bits that might be interesting as I go along.

Here I repaired the screw holes for the hinges. I could have just squirted some glue into the old hole and drove in a small dowel type piece of wood. Doing that though can create some trouble when you go to drive the screw back in as it will want to drift off center and alter the alignment of the hinge. What I did was to drill a larger hole, make small dowels and glue them into place. Now I can replace the hinge, drill a small pilot hole to locate the screw and have a much more sound solution. A bit more time, but a better job I believe.

 

 

The original screw holes which were quite loose. You can only tighten them so much before they get stripped. That along with the age of the wood, the bit of oxidation from the steel of the screw itself and all the moisture, the holes were just gone.

 

 

After drilling out a suitable size hole, making some dowels and gluing them into place I have some solid wood to work with when I go to reinstall the hinges.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: