Most of this will be a photo essay. I’ve managed to completely breakdown the piece, clean all the parts and begin the repairs. Many of the tenons are broken and I’ve repaired them with splines where I can. Other smaller pieces will take dowels to strengthen the damaged joint. As you will see all the mortise and tenons are held with wood pins/dowels. Along it’s life in an attempt to secure it a handful of nails were used which have all been carefully removed.
I plan to keep some of the “dirt” in the corners so it doesn’t look like it was just made yesterday. I’m hoping to keep some of the patina of the aged wood and not strip it to like new condition. I want it to end up looking like it is an old, yet cared for piece and as if nothing serious has been done to it. Fortunately the owner feels the same way. He wants it to appear as if it’s still an original piece. It’ll show some age and use but still maintain it’s character.
Check out the photos and if there are any questions I’d be happy to fill in the details. There is just so much going on to cover every topic.
Pegs complete the mortise and tenon joints. Knock out the pins and the pieces are free. Along it’s life dozens of nails were driven in to help secure many pieces. Removing them without doing more damage was another story and presented many challenges so as not to dent, tear or splinter the surrounding wood while trying to extract them.
The splits and damaged corner to receive the tenon has been repaired with conventional glues. For the reassembly I plan on using Hyde glues.
Just a detail shot of how the frames are assembled and broken down.
Piles of parts awaiting cleaning.
A succession of photos where before and after cleaning is shown. Oak, given time will turn black. I’m just trying to reverse the process and arrive at a nice warm color which was seen under the hinges and lock plates. Probably close to what it originally looked like.
One of the many typical repairs necessary after cleaning and inspection . This linen fold panel , as some of the others ,was especially bad most likely because it is very thin ( (1/4 inch thick) which couldn’t take much abuse. I used traditional glues for this type of repairs as I don’t want it to come apart. From here, I can sand, fill, re-stain a piece to match the surrounding wood prior to applying the finish.